Sunday, April 24, 2011

Before I wish you a happy Easter...

...I'm going to bombard you with pictures of how well I color inside the lines, so to speak. When I was a freshman in high school I took a ceramics class. It wasn't really ceramics since we didn't use a kiln, but you painted plaster and sprayed it with a finish and my friend's mom who took us called it ceramics so that was good enough for me. My brother used to tease me that I was a sixty year old lady. Then when I learned to knit in my twenties he'd tease me that I was eighty. Whatever. I do what I want whether it's acting eight with my nephew or eighty with my grandma. Sometimes I act my actual age, but this is rare. Anyway, for some reason I painted a copious amount of Easter decorations. This year, instead of scattering pieces here and there around the house my mom did the mantle for Easter.


It looks like a little Easter forest scene....

I made this little guy for my grandma, and when she died it came back here. My favorite part is the pearlized-painted eggs and the cute pink wagon. His eye looks like one of my eyeliner jobs, but his front teeth are cute.

My younger sisters were at that age where they wanted to do whatever I did, so my aunt bought them these and they each painted one (with the help of my mother). How cute is the one on the right with his hand in his pocket and his little pipe?

 
These little guys were my favorite. The chick is sitting on a little tree stump (the purple egg is blocking it). I painted it brown but it looked...inappropriate. My mother took one look and said "I think you need to paint that green to match the grass."

 
From one end....

...and then the other. That's a piece of that astro-turf stuff you'd carpet your pool deck with acting as grass. I'm sure my dad saved that because he knew in several years there'd be a need for it.

And this is maybe the easiest garland ever....

...plastic eggs snapped onto a ribbon.


So that's that. And now, I leave you with this:

Vintage image from here.

4 comments:

  1. I envy your mantel. It's looking very pretty. Now I get its purpose. It's what a front door is to a Chinese home. We Chinese (not me tho') would dress up our front door for festive occasions with banners, decorative posters and red "curtains with fringes". When my kids were in kindy, I spent a bomb on their pottery classes. Now I have a huge collection of weird looking pottery pieces which I would put on my mantel if I have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely display, it looks so fresh and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and spring like, I wish I had a mantel to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, that may be the easiest Easter garland ever, but it is also the best idea ever! I am going to remember this for next Easter.
    xo,
    Sena

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...