Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lone Star

This week's quilt block  ran the entire range of sewing emotions, from *&^#^$^$&&#&# this stupid thing!! to OMG I love it!! And believe me - no one was more surprised than me at the turnaround. I started out by trying everything I could think of (but obviously not the correct thing) to get the diamond points to match up reasonably well. I think I picked out each seam at least once, but once I figured it out they all ended up perfect enough for my taste. And then the inset seams that I wanted to punch in their stupid y-shaped faces last time worked out OK. I could feel myself getting giddy that I might actually piece a difficult block that wasn't a hot mess. And I really think I did it. It's not perfect, but the little quirks are so minor they'll quilt right out so they're not even really quirks. Ready to see it?


Haha. that's the back. I just thought the back was pretty too. The geographical center of this block is quite seam-a-licious. OK, here's the front:


I am quite proud of this block and actually--dare I say--enJOYed making it! Apparently the right playlist on iTunes is pretty key to successful sewing. Fun coincidence: as I was doing the final press on this the song 'Lone Star' by Norah Jones came on. What timing! Anyway, there is no WAY I'd be making this one in bulk. I don't think, anyway. Maybe when I'm old and retired and have endless bits of time. Or young and retired. One should aim high.


I can't believe there are only 3 blocks left in this quilt along and then the year-long adventure is done. Next month's theme is "I'll never be able to make that block!" My heart is a little afraid, but I'm nice and confident now that I feel like I aced this one.


In just the right fabrics this would be a really cute block for a Christmas pillow. I have lots of Christmas scraps. I'll have to see what I can do.

I think I'm going to go work on my rainbow ripple afghan a little bit. It was neglected for several months and I'm enjoying getting back to it in odd little snippets of time here and there.

Happy Friday! Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Okay..how did I miss 3 posts? Love the block. Love the orange plaid bag...and I really love the yard pics. So neat!!! Looked like fun!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...